Friday, December 10, 2010

An advent prayer

Healing God, stir me from my indifference. Though the world’s brokenness sometimes feels overwhelming, give me strength to accept the challenge of pursuing your perfect peace. Amen.

(for a daily advent reflection go to: http://www.d365.org/followingthestar/)

Waiting.

Advent is a time of waiting.  My mom has a little sign at home that says
"God give me patience... but hurry.'

It reminds me of the highly acclaimed "Bruce Almighty".  A begruntled and jaded Jim Carrey grasps his steering wheel while driving down the road on a rainy night and pleads, "God.. please, give me a sign."  Immediately a truck with danger signs passes him--Yield, Wrong Way, Dead End, Do Not Enter, STOP.  But Bruce is oblivious and when his car, de repente, smashes into a pole, he smites god, thinking his prayer unanswered.   (Enter Garth Brooks in the background.)

Similarly, when we pray for patience, or peace, it doesn't necesarily come in the tangible form of a dove, or instant enlightment. Maybe, as for my friend Juli (http://www.julierinsmith.blogspot.com/) it comes in the form of being one of eight people at the breakfast table, waiting for their pancakes to be served...one...at...a...time.  Now that's an opportunity for patience!  That feeling of perturbance that starts to fester---let us see it as a signal, a sign---here's the answer to your prayer.  A chance to practice patience. How will I do?  Will I be thankful, receptive to this form of answered prayer?

There is an African Proverb that I love:

When you pray,

               move your feet. 


We can't pray for signs
without actively looking for them
or for patience
without practicing it
or for peace
without pursuing it.

move your feet.

move my feet.

peace.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this post, thank you for sharing. Always!
    I especially love the idea of making sure we recognize the signs we as for in prayer. I recently asked God for a sign and was blessed with eyes to see it answered!
    God is very good!
    Bendiciones guapa!

    ReplyDelete