Saturday, July 16, 2011

New Hope

Yesterday Ligia and I shared a training on the Estrellitas Program with teachers from anotherbranch of Common Hope called New Hope, or Nueva Esperanza which is a school run by Common Hope, just outside of Guatemala City.  It was so much fun and the teachers were really excited to learn about the program and new activities that they can use to develop phonemic awareness and basic reading skills.  








I am always thrilled when asked to share a training...It has definately been one of the highlights of my
time here and has inspired some future plans!  In just a few weeks I will be back home preparing (frantically, I'm afraid) for the beginning of the 11-12 school year, in which I will be teaching 3rd grade at Caldwell Elementary.  I'm very grateful to have received a position after so many cuts were made statewide this year...and because of my experience here, working with all grade levels, I was more open and confident to take on any position in which I was needed.  I have also enrolled in a Masters Program through Texas A&M Commerce in Educational Training and Development which I am reeaaally excited about, and believe was a direct answer to prayer and discernment.  From what I've experienced here, training is basically teaching, which comes pretty naturally to me, so I look forward to refining some skills, gaining new knowledge and seeing where it leads!  My coworkers here and hoping that it leads me back to Guatemala in a year or two! :)

My last day with the foundation, and friends, will be spent at New Hope receiving a training from the teachers that participated in our training yesterday.  I can't think of a more appropriate and balanced way to round out my time here. 

"In African language we say 'A Person is a person through other persons.'  I would not know how to be a human being at all except I learned this from other human beings.  We are made for a delicate network of relationships, of interdependence.  We are meant to complement each other." -Archbishop Desmond Tutu

No comments:

Post a Comment