Yesterday we met a resilient group of women. We shared a meal with them and then had the honor of hearing some of their stories about the violence they witnessed and experienced during the civil war (1960-1996). Together with Cedepca (www.cedepca.org) the women of Corazon de Mujer (Heart of Woman) are raising awareness of the issues facing Guatemalan women, and are proudly helping provide for their families and prepare a better future for their children.
This is Bernada's story (bottom middle) as published in the "Threads" The 2011 Corazon de Mujer Calendar, which supplements income the women earn by selling woven scarves and other treasures. For more information visit www.corazonscarves.com
I was born in a village near Chichicastinango. Seventeen years ago we moved to Chimaltenango. We came here because of the violence in our villages. Lots of people hid in the woods. For nine months I lived in the woods. I hid with my six-week-old little girl. We survived by stealing crops during the nighttime. i lost my diapers; I lost everything. In the day, we were hiding in the ravines so the helicopters and police wouldn't see us and during the night we could make a little fire. We couldn't cry, couldn't yell. We ran into the mountains because if we didn't they would have killed us and that is why we are alive right now. If they saw us in the village they would say, "Oh look, they are helping the guerrillas!" and they would kill us.
Because of the group (Corazon de Mujer) one of my daughters was able to go to school and now she is a teacher. I don't want my children to have lives like I've had. I've never studied. Now, it's better here.
I grew up weaving. I learned to weave when I was eight. Now, I just ask my husband to buy thread and then I can make huipils (see beautiful blouses above) for my daughter. That is the way that my grandparents lived.
I'll tell you about how I came to have this house. At first we just had one roof and we just slept under it and then we made walls out of cornstalks. We stayed for a while, just like that, but little by little my husband bought the stuff for the walls and we built the house out of adobe and pieces of wood. We have been here for about 12 years. This is how life has passed. We can't afford to build a pretty house, but this is how life is.

I looked at the sight and the scarves are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing:) Did you get the fish bucket for your clothes??? That would seem about right. MUAH!
ReplyDelete