Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We're not in Antigua anymore, Toto.



We´ve made our way up the base of the volcano a bit. We´re about 20 minutes from Anitgua and is where we are attending Spanish school for the next month. I only thought I knew Spanish! haha. Just kidding... but I am really grateful for this opportunity to clarify, refine and build some new Spanish vocabulary. I don´t know if it is a coincidence that my teacher, Felix (el gato), also teaches Christian Theology classes, but for four hours every morning, I am studying Spanish grammar from the Bible. Really. The Bible is my textbook. Love it!!



I´ve also learned that Guatemala has two seasons--rainy and not rainy. We happen to be in the midst of the rainiest rainy season that Guatemala has seen since the 50´s, and it is reaking havoc on roads and infrastructure here. Many around the country have lost their lives and homes to mudslides and flooding. We are safe, and the rain has actually subsided for a few days where we are and I once again find myself in a little bubble of comfort when there is need all around. At orientation we talked about the ¨ministry of presence¨. Being verses doing...The idea that we´re not always going to be constructing a building, or having any tangible product necesarily, but that by being here, living in solidarity with others is, in fact, important work. And also, that we have much to learn. After the first few days in quiet San Juan del Obispo we realized that we do, in fact, have a lot of ´being´to do, and much to learn.

What´s that rumbling, grumbling, awakening?
It´s
my
spirit.


1 comment:

  1. Knowing that your spirit is content....makes mine content as well. Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete