One of our actividads at the retreat was to reflect on our image of God, and then we continued that reflection by expressing it in a collage. My image of God was inspired by a sunrise boat ride that we took that morning... and the many "reflections" that kept catching my eye from the water's surface...
So, as I started collecting images for my collage, I began snipping things that lend themselves to reflecting--mirror, sunglasses, car windows. Then I remembered how the reflections became fuzzy when the water was disturbed, so I sought pictures that were out of focus. My image of God is like that fuzzy reflection in that it lacks definition...lacks rigidity. And it most definately lacks the ability to be clearly defined with words. (Or fit into a rectangular square which is why the pictures are hanging off of the sides.) I had started to cut out words that caught my eye, but decided that just one word summed it up: love. And I like that the word 'love' that I found was in black and white. I think defining God, if ever in terms of black and white, can be done with that word. And I made sure not to put any other pictures on my collage that were stark black and white, becuase I think God is in the grays...and every color of creation. I connect with God as a creator God, a creative God, and a creating God, and I often feel most connected when surrounded by that creation--specifically nature. So, I couldn't help but cut out pictures of trees, nature, the planet. I love the idea that we are created in God's image..A relationship with God, to me, is like a mirror (again...reflection) but more like a two-sided mirror, as if God were on one side of the mirror and we were on the other. God sees our most true self--the 'good' that we are created to be. And when we look through and back into 'the mirror' we can begin to see ourselves as does God. I think that is a very empowering prayer---"God, help me see myself as you see me." Once we do that, we're in trouble! haha. just kidding. But there is, I believe, a natural shift that happens.. We begin to see ourselves as a reflection of God, lovingly and respectfully accepting ourselves. That kind of self-acceptance is powerful. God is there when we feel that our glass is empty, and when it overflows. In pain and in joy. In times of waiting, like my little frog friend, and there when we act (jump!) While puzzling together these images, some Birds started singing a tune...To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!
God of the colors, and God of the grays, help me to see myself as you see me.

thanks for your beautiful thoughts, Laura!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the scripture ..... funny ... I have planned it for a sermon soon!