Well, on the eve of 2011, I (out of pure necessity) devloped a new skill... possibly a future career. I wish you could hear this picture. I thought Kindergarten classrooms could get a little crazy. After about half an hour of twisting and shaping (that allll began with the words, "Well...I could probably make a crown or something...) Valentina looked at me and said "You should be a teacher." "I am a teacher!" I said. It was a wonderful affirmation :)
Frida's crown was subconciously inspired by her pacifier--her most loved possesion. haha. This little one, earlier in the day, started calling me "Tia" when she needed to get my attention. My other sisters laughed when they heard this and said, "Tia que?" (Aunt what?) ...Shrug.... "Tia Laura!" So New Year's Eve is the day that I officially became a Guatemalan Aunt and now I have 7 new neices and 4 nephews...and they all have lovely ameatuer balloon crowns...
Tamale love. The gift that I received in the exchange was a recipe book of traditional Guatemalan recipes! It's home is in the kitchen right now, and every once in a while we add a recipe to it or Mama Irma does a little loving editing. The woman makes 300 tamales every Friday!
I didn't really understand the national fascination of fireworks until this night. But at 10 minutes till midnight, we went up to the rooftop terrace. A few minutes before midnight (at least according to our clocks) the show started. As the minutes ticked by and the 2010 calendar year officially expired the sky lit up with colors and 3 feet strands of black cats everywhere echoed off of the surrounding volcanos. Now that I think of it..it was like an OMNI theatre production of fireworks... I would turn 360 degrees and in every direction, from the tourist-filled streets of Antigua to the most remote of the surrounding villages there was an understanding. It might sound silly... but the divisions that exist here--catholic/evangelica, indigenous/ladino, gang members/civilians, gringa/Guatemalan-- seemed to suspend themselves for a few moments (actually, about 20 minutes of continuous, saturated setting off of fireworks). I was skeptical, I tell ya. But there's something mezmoring about thousands of explosvies simultaneously blasting without intention to hurt one... to just enjoy, and wonder.
No countdown, no kiss at midnight, no alcohol (gasp), no high heels or dancing, no black eyed peas on New Year' Day, no biological family:( Oh , and my favorite---no shopping malls the entire Christmas season!! or parking lots for that matter :) but lots of wonderful moments to bring in the New Year.
Many blessings to you in this new year, and if you're looking for a New Year's resolution...
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God

HI, Laura!
ReplyDeleteLoved the new year's resolution -- did you write that -- or someone else -- I would like to quote it in my blog -- but want to attribute it to the right source if there is one --
Keep up the good work -- bet you can't wait for your parent's to come!!!
I can't take credit for it. I actually saw it on a friend's facebook page...but after doing a little research turns out it you find it on coffee mugs, keychains, t-shirts etc, etc. I hope God's getting a cut on the profit :)
ReplyDelete