Monday, February 14, 2011

Hugs, Hellos, and Happy Dia del Cariño

Feliz dia del cariño(care)! I have to say, today I felt completely surrounded by love.   However, I am mostly thankful today for feeling known, as in a part of the community. 

One thing that can be challenging about living here is that generally when you walk down the street, nobody knows you.  You might think that would lead to one feeling somewhat invisible, but oh wait, there's another challenge:  you're never invisible and you never blend in (well...maybe in Antigua)  So, you are always recognized--at the best, discreetly stared at and at the worst, whistled at or 'psssshtt'-ed. It's a sound you make to get someone's attention here...ooooh, I take that back about being the worst.  Juli tells me that one time she was walking down the street and a little lady says "Aqui viene la canchita gigante!"  (Here comes the giant white girl!)  hahahaha.  (I'm not laughing AT you, Juli)   ooohh..and i also take back the 'at best' example.  The other day I was walking down the street and I did get quite the self-esteem boost when a group of perhaps just-post-adolescent boys passed me and I hear "Aaaaaahhhghh DIOSA!"  yes.  that translates to goddess.  I wanted to turn around and say thank you :)

So, anyway..it can be wearing.  But more and more I am being recognized (and recognizing others) on the street, in stores, on the bus, and it feels nice to be known. On the way to school a student walked up from behind me and we walked together to school where I then received many, many besitos y abrazos accompanied by kind words.  Feliz dia del cariño--the equivelant of Valentine's Day--but a day that everyone looks forward to here, from what I can tell, not just those romantically involved. It is also reason to cancel classes, decorate, elect a miss congeniality, and play!

I have a lot of friends who are teachers at home and let me tell you, I have learned a lot from my Guatemalan friends about celebrating!  I'm getting preeeetty crafty, though I can take no credit for what you see here.  And by preeetty crafty, I mean that they always take what I do and am proud of and make it look a million times better. 




In the next few pictures, you might notice some differences between Valentine's Day celebrations in US classrooms and here.  I mean, I have never had a party in the street outside of the school, surrounded a beautiful church and rolling hills. 


Also, over 700 students got themselves seated outside in an impressively calm and orderly manner.  Teachers, calm. 

Motorcycle through the crowd, anyone?? Again... we're calm.

Students shooting off fireworks...

with the teacher's permission, if not encouragement. 
So...different, but different is not bad.  It was really, really fun actually, and helped me almost forget that I am separated from my loved ones by thousands of miles.   After the love festivities ended, we went back to painting our new Centro de Tareas (homework center).

This was not staged...I almost got a roller in the face.

We joked that this was Avatar paint, but after seeing this picture, I think there might be some truth to it...
Juli came to volunteer.  That's double volunteering!  Go Juli!



Happy day of caring, to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment