Whew... what a long, full, energizing and completely draining, life-giving day.
Ash Wednesday. Miercoles de cenizas.
"At 9:00 we have mass," they tell me at school. 'As in, 400+ students go to mass?' I ask myself? Oh, yes. Here we go. We finish giving our reading lesson to Prepa (equivalent to Kindergarten) and get the 34+ patojitos en line and head out. We filed into a side room at the church and were surrounded by others in uniform. Ok. The priest walks in and some feigned attention, but moveable plastic chairs proved far more interesting. You can move them (aka make noise with them), reach your friends chair, poke your fingers through, push on them with your feet, etc. When it's time to kneel, during the Lord's Supper, you can actually get under the chairs.
There I was, trying not to be a control freak (those of you who know me well know that those are the last words that would describe me..but I do like an orderly classroom...). So anyway, I'm there, trying to receive my own spiritual food, on my knees, on the floor....when I feel a little tickle. I close my eyes, smile, and absorb the tickle. At first the 5-year-old aggressor seemed disappointed with my lack of reaction, but he resumed, more determined than ever to get a laugh out of me (as the priest blessed the holy elements). I peek around/under the chair and give him a raised eyebrow and a grin.
Later, I diverted a friendly wrestling match from breaking out by pulling one little guy into my lap. His friend next to us was still squirmy and obviously wanted a share of the attention, so, what did I have left? Extremities. I put out my hand. he grabbed it and it kept him entertained for a while. He held my hand different ways, made it into a fist, unrolled each finger, counted them, counted his, counted mine again. Hmmmm....
About this time I hear the priest asking how many days passed between Jesus' death and resurrection? 3!! (Remember, there are over 400 students in this mass, and turns out it is interactive) How many days? Little hands start flailing up around me. They clumsily are counting on their fingers... "uno... dos... tre...oop! up flies the pinky... wrangle it down... there!... tres. tres dias. Still, one proudly holds up 4 fingers saying "tres!"
Then it's time for the ashes and I think... how is this possibly going to work, with so many moveable, noise-making chairs, and an equal number of moveable, noise-making little bodies (who like to dog pile each other EVERY time we line up after recess, by the by)? And ya know what.. it wasn't flawless. There were squeaks, cutting in line. There was lots of side-conversations...even a few 'awkward' silences. There was a crowd. But everyone got to pass and have the sign of the cross placed on their forehead with ashes. And there was community, and there was culture.
Sometimes I think 'we think' (churches) that traditions and sacraments have to be executed flawlessly in order to be holy. Well, today, between the mid-service reorganization of chairs and giggles and tickles, the Spirit moved, and was present.
400+ students and the outrageously outnumbered adults were challenged to use the next 40 days to prepare our hearts anew. To begin something that nourishes our spirit, that grows our faith, that offers healing, or encourages gratitude. Or we can choose to use this Lenten season to leave something behind that separates us from God, that creates hurt, or distracts us from God's amazing creation.
Last year I gave up text messaging. Yes. It's true. And it was a challenge. In the first few days I received a looot of texts. Toward the end of the season, my friends figured out that if they wanted to communicate with me then they had to use a more antiquated form of communication. But every time my phone beeped and I couldn't answer, it was a reminder: to pray or to take a moment and be thankful for something--anything--everything.
This year, I am going to have a time of daily devotion, using an online devotional http://www.d365.org/journeytothecross. If I can check my email everyday or check into facebook, then I can be mindful of my technology-spent time and take a moment of devotion to the giver of life.
I hope that you find a life-giving way to prepare your hearts in this holy season and that whatever it is, it brings you new understanding, faith, and love. And remember, it doesn't have to be perfect to be holy.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

loooooove this
ReplyDelete